Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:57:32 +0000
From: Simon John <john-users@...-jedi.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.6 with jumbo 11 patch (or omp-des-7) 64-Bit
 Fedora 14 RPM's

On 02/07/2011 09:29 PM, Solar Designer wrote:

[snip]
> Thank you!  I've briefly tested your builds in a Fedora 13 OpenVZ
> container running on top of Owl 3.0.  They work well.  In fact, the F14
> builds work just fine on this F13 system.

Cool, as I'm about to ditch my last f13 box. i was thinking of doing
some centos5 builds but have to figure out a nice way to cope with the
changes to the rpm format, so i might just wait for centos6 which should
be able to install the f14 srpm at least.

[...]
> One thing you could do better in the next update is include the jumbo
> patch revision number into the filename.  Perhaps set RPM's "Version" to
> 1.7.6.jumbo_11, or alternatively set RPM's "Release" to "7_jumbo_11"
> similarly to the way you did it in "3ompdes7" (but I think underscores
> will make this easier to read).

I was actually setting the Release flag at one point - when it was
netscreen+jumbo7+sha1 but i guess it got removed now its just jumbo11,
i'll put it back in the next build so it matches omp-des-7 (probably
1.7.6-7jumbo11) it should help to differentiate it from the official
fedora packages too.

i'm also thinking of making it so you can have both (or all three)
packages installed at once, as personally i use jumbo mostly, and
manually install the omp-des binary alongside and share the
config/manpages/wordlists.

or are we likely to see omp-des merged into jumbo soon-ish?

Regards,

Simon.