Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 03:50:57 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: SunMD5 (was: John the Ripper does not detect openssl MD5 hashes)

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 11:53:13PM +0000, john-users@...-jedi.co.uk wrote:
> I've had a similar lack of success with Sun-MD5 which has the format
> "username:$md5$password" instead of "username:$1$password" like BSD.
>
> Is Sun's implementation supported? Otherwise I must be doing something
> wrong too!

It is only supported when you actually run JtR on a recent enough
version of Solaris (that supports SunMD5).  This works via JtR's
generic crypt(3) support.  There's no SunMD5 code in JtR itself, there
are only some checks to detect those hashes and use the Solaris
system's crypt(3C) on them.  BTW, this is OpenMP-enabled.  And you do
not need the jumbo patch for this; clean 1.7.6 will do.

I am curious, did you actually find those hashes in the wild?  They're
pretty rare.

Alexander