Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 01:25:47 +0200
From: Martin T <m4rtntns@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: John the Ripper does not detect openssl MD5 hashes

I tried to create few MD5 hashes using openssl and then crack those
hashes using John the Ripper(version 1.7.3.1) and a dictionary file.
At first I made a crackable file for john:

root@...tin-desktop:~# echo test:`printf secret | openssl md5` > md5crypt
root@...tin-desktop:~# cat md5crypt
test:5ebe2294ecd0e0f08eab7690d2a6ee69
root@...tin-desktop:~#

..then verified, that secret is present in /usr/share/john/password.lst file:

root@...tin-desktop:~# grep -w secret /usr/share/john/password.lst
secret
root@...tin-desktop:~#

..and finally tried to crack this MD5 hash using john. However, this
didn't work:

root@...tin-desktop:~# john --wordlist=/usr/share/john/password.lst md5crypt
Loaded 2 password hashes with no different salts (LM DES [64/64 BS MMX])
guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:00 100%  c/s: 44257  trying: SKIDOO - ZHONGGU
root@...tin-desktop:~#

As you can see, john detects this as a "LM DES [64/64 BS MMX]" not
"MD5"(this is probably a default if nothing else matches?). So I tried
with "--format" options:

root@...tin-desktop:~# john --wordlist=/usr/share/john/password.lst
--format=MD5 md5crypt
No password hashes loaded
root@...tin-desktop:~# john --wordlist=/usr/share/john/password.lst
--format=raw-MD5 md5crypt
No password hashes loaded
root@...tin-desktop:~#

As I understand, john does not detect the MD5 hash inside my md5crypt
file. What might cause this? Or am I doing something wrong?

regards,
martin