Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:54:17 +0200
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FreeBSD crypt() / MD5-crypt implementation question

Hello,

The "andnot" optimization won't work on GPUs as they don't have a PANDN-like
instruction in their ISA - neither AMD, nor Nvidia. I've been playing around
with this and found out the xor versions to be faster. Speaking about
optimizations, on 5xxx ATIs there is a single "leftrotate" instruction
(bitalign) that is 3 times faster than the "two-shifts, one or" version.
Newer Nvidia hardware has fused SHL+ADD instruction which also helps, but
not as much as bitalign on ATI.

AMD ISA has BFI_INT which is a single instruction that does practically the
exact same thing as the F and G transformations. Unfortunately, AMD did not
expose BFI_INT to IL and it's rather useless at present. That would give a
nice 15% speed boost for MD5 (perhaps even more if hash reversal is
performed, which unfortunately is not possible for md5crypt).