Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:55:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Plain Text/No-op Password Format

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:18:23PM +0000, Freddie Witherden wrote:
> URL encoding is quite nice and easy to procure from either `perl` or
> `curl`.  IIRC it also allows one to be quite aggressive with regards to
> whitespace ' ' => %20.

Yes, however please note that I did not propose using the exact same
scheme - only a similar one.  Specifically, I don't like having to
encode any plus chars.  So "curl" would not do it right for you.

This also has the drawback I mentioned with surrounding whitespace
affecting processing, unless its encoding is formally required, which I
don't like (in this case, plain hex-encoding of everything becomes
easier for the user).

Alexander