Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 01:03:27 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wordlist Mangling Rule

Al,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 05:05:35PM +1300, Al Grant wrote:
> So if you want to use words of only 8 characters or less, would it be wiser
> to truncate the dictionary before using it with JTR?

If your rules are such that each word will be looked at lots of times
(true for those you requested) and your hashes/ciphers are fast to
compute (not true for WPA), then yes.  Since WPA is so slow to compute
anyway, you're not going to achieve a significant speedup by speeding up
the application of wordlist rules.  99.9% of the CPU time is probably
spent on actually checking the candidate passwords that are generated by
the rules.  (I am guessing that you use JtR in conjunction with
Aircrack-ng or the like.)

Alexander