Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:32:03 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: which john & options to use for Mac OS X 10.4+ salted SHA-1 using OSX 10.6?

William,

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 07:22:41PM -0800, William wrote:
> 2.  I just ran "john".  Maybe it was an old version (like I said, I bought the pro about 6 years ago.  Where can I get the latest pro, just to check?).

Just to nitpick:

You couldn't buy Pro 6 years ago - it didn't exist at that time (the
free JtR did).  You previously mentioned you bought JtR Pro 3 years ago,
and the version you mention suggests that you actually bought (or last
downloaded) it no earlier than mid-2008.

To address your actual question:

You can download the latest JtR Pro from the same private URL/directory
that was created for your initial purchase.  (Yes, such directories are
being updated.)  If you did not record it, then please provide some
information on your order to me off-list and I will locate the URL for
you.  I was not able to identify your order based on the e-mail address
you post from - perhaps you used a different one for your purchase - and
indeed your first name alone is not specific enough. ;-)

> 3. I'll try it without extracting the .zip (at work now)
>  use "chmod +x john"  gets "john: no such file or directory"

Then you're not doing it in the correct directory, or you're in fact not
extracting the ZIP (you _should_ extract it, but you _might_ need to
issue the "chmod" command afterwards).  Anyhow, if you have JtR Pro
working, even if an older version, then you don't really need the new
one.  The older JtR Pro is fine for what you're doing.

> 4.  the pattern I remember is two letters (either upper or lower case), then two numbers (from the set 02, 03, 04, 05 or 06), then either an * or !, then two more letters (if the first were upper, the second are lower and vice versa), then two more numbers from the set above.

OK, this is specific enough, and it's crackable (given the fast to
compute hash type that you're dealing with).  I'll provide the
instructions in a separate message.

Alexander