Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 18:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: William <phoolon_devi@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: which john & options to use for Mac OS X 10.4+ salted SHA-1 using OSX 10.6?

Alexandar,

Thanks for responding.

1.  You're right: the .iso has the same password as the account I was using that I used the unshadow on, so I have the .iso, but the account has since been deleted, so it's from the account, but I need the pw for the .iso.

2.  > When i loaded it onto the MacMini, I had to dl Rosetta...
There was no error message, it just said "need to download Rosetta ok/no" so I hit "ok" and it did.  To be clear, the John pro I'm using I bought about 3 years ago.

3.  I tried "./john" on the 1.7.6 with no luck, but "john" worked on the 1.7.3.  Used to be I had to use "./john", but that was on my old PowerBook PPC running 10.4.

4.  The pw was 6 or 7 characters, all lower case, with either two or four numbers and one punctuation, either a * or a !, I can't remember which.   I found a text permutation generator:  http://mytexttools.com/Permutation-Generator.html
So I put in all the bits I've ever used before and came up with a wordlist that I used.

I actually created the pw to be uncrackable, so perhaps I did too good a job.  Yep, I'm a newbie, well, figuring stuff out, but thanks for the help.

-W