Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 02:25:05 +0000 (GMT)
From: Mr Ex <ex_says@...oo.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob question #2: how to set to prefix more than one character, a word, in wordlist rules/elsewhere... very simply

Many thanks for your response and I didn't find it discouraging... you obviously
pointed out that 10 alphanum char brute would take far longer than I had, for
some reason, vaguely presumed.

Wanted to try something else this time, namely prefixing a word to a peoples
names wordlist, and also maybe appending some digits, maybe even more than one,
again for aircrack piping.
May sound really dumb and schoolboy here but I'm struggling to grasp and how to
generate the john.pot to then make the .chr (specifically I don't grasp where
all.gz is from that example you gave
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6, or if I am even to use
that?). It appears I do have to grasp how to generate the .chr file for this
word prefix idea too because I can't just amend the wordlist rules part of
john.conf as that way only seems to let you prefix one single alph char to the
beginning..? (So in my case it will only prefix potential passphrases with 'v'
rather than the whole word I want?) If I'm wrong on that (I'm hoping I am so I
could just set it in john.conf!) please do correct me ;-)

Thanks again in advance for tolerating any noobidity I've shown here ;-)