Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 04:50:51 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob question: how to feed 10 alphanum char min&max incremental to aircrack when "MaxLen = 10 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8"

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 08:03:01PM -0400, brad@...ystems.com wrote:
> Yes, I omitted that. The time (67m6.326s) was on roughly 30,000 NT
> (unsalted md4 unicode) hashes from the KoreLogic Defcon contest.
>
> wc -l nt_clean.txt
> 30820 nt_clean.txt

Oh, then your time was not bad.  I just did some math, and it appears
that JtR would complete a similar run in about 50 minutes (that's on one
CPU core).  There got to be room for improvement here.

> SSE again it seems. Good numbers for a CPU based application. I doubt
> you'll get much faster than that on a current CPU with that has type.

Well, 3.5x to 5.5x faster by using all four cores.  So far, this is best
done by running 8 instances of JtR manually (it should be 8 for a Core i7
with HT enabled even though the CPU is quad-core), but I'll need to be
improving the code to make this simpler yet efficient.

Alexander