Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 22:16:24 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking CISCO ASA 5510

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:47:04PM +0000, Robert Ramsey wrote:
> The two versions of jtr I tried follow:
>
> john-1.7.6.tar (source), using linux-x86-sse2 with make
> john-1.7.3.4-1.fc13.i686 (rpm), pulled down with yum
>
> Looking at the example above this should just work.  Am I missing something?

PIX hashes are not supported by the official JtR.  The support is added
with the jumbo patch, so you need to apply it:

http://www.openwall.com/john/#contrib
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/how-to-extract-tarballs-and-apply-patches

> When I try to crack a password from one of my 2500 series routers, john works
> just fine:
>
> [rramsey@...ora run]$ cat 2500.pw
> enable:$1$Tkln$T7WMpUgXmrrAhLV7ptiWB/
> home:$1$7OIB$denN36OJ68zxWcPIdZsGI.

These are FreeBSD-style MD5-based crypt(3) hashes, also used by many
Linux distros and by some Cisco products, which the official JtR
includes support for.  So no patch is needed for these.  You may want to
use a 64-bit build of JtR for much better performance at these hashes,
though.  (Or Simon's patch from the wiki for even better performance,
but that's tricky.)

Alexander