Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:49:26 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contest Details - "Crack Me If You Can" - DEFCON
 2010

Le 29/07/2010 22:58, Solar Designer a écrit :
> Ouch.  Just to make your posting more valuable to all, does the above
> apply to current versions of EDPR as well?

I didn't ask for a renewal of our license, so I don't know. That's why I
mentionned the fact it happened a couple of years ago. I however
wouldn't have high hopes as the tool was supposed to be mature back then.

> As to its speed, I guess it
> varies by hash type - so perhaps mention what you ran it against?
> I know that it's expected to be very slow at Unix crypt(3) hashes, but
> it shouldn't be that bad at LM/NTLM.

It looks like it good with some hashes, especially GPU supported ones.
It also has support of standard document formats that are not targetted
by JtR. But even if the speed was allright, you only had very basic
bruteforce modes.

As for "real" cracking sessions, the GUI was really horrible. In order
to crack some hashes, you had to :
* click new task
* select the file where your hashes are
* a list of all hashes pops up, select one
* start again for all other passwords

It created a job per hash, that had to be finished before running the
next. Not exactly useful.