Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:33:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: HMAC-MD5, SMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5

Simon, all -

Today I happened to use the HMAC-MD5 "format" - hmacMD5_fmt.c (in the
jumbo patch) contributed by Simon - to see if a spammer had found and
used a weak password (and this proved to be the case, although indeed I
can't rule out the possibility that the password leaked from the user's
computer rather than was cracked remotely).  While doing this, I ran
into and fixed a bug in hmacMD5_fmt.c.  The fix is included in
john-1.7.6-jumbo-6, which I've just released, and I've also attached
just the fix (against 1.7.6-jumbo-5) to this message.

http://www.openwall.com/john/#contrib

Here's how to crack/check/audit SMTP's AUTH CRAM-MD5 exchanges with this:

Capture an SMTP session with a sniffer.  You need traffic in both
directions.  The client will send the "AUTH CRAM-MD5" command, the
server will respond with a base64-encoded challenge, and the client will
similarly provide a base64-encoded response.  You need the challenge and
the response.

base64-decode the challenge and the response, e.g. using "base64 -d"
(from GNU coreutils) or "openssl base64 -d".  The decoded challenge will
typically look like:

<12345.1234567890@...ver.example.org>

(where the numbers are typically a Unix process ID and a Unix timestamp).

The decoded response will look like:

username 01234567890123456789012345678901

The second field of it is a hex-encoded MD5 digest value (yes, it was
encoded twice).

Then construct a line usable by JtR:

username:<12345.1234567890@...ver.example.org>#01234567890123456789012345678901

and simply run "john" on the file (no options are needed, the "format"
should be autodetected).

The above line is loaded just fine by john-1.7.6-jumbo-6 for me, but
indeed the password is not expected to be cracked because I did not post
a real C/R pair - sorry, the one I was dealing with in practice is still
valid and is otherwise security-sensitive.  Maybe someone else will post
a real-world example.

As usual, it is possible to have multiple lines like this in the same
file.  This only makes sense for different target accounts (there's
usually no point in attacking different C/R pairs for the same account).

I hope someone will find this helpful.

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.6-jumbo-5-hmac-md5.diff" of type "text/plain" (1038 bytes)