Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:30:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: MPI patch update (was: 1.7.6-jumbo-2)

Magnum -

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:09:18PM +0200, Magnum, P.I. wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:31, Solar Designer<solar@...nwall.com>  wrote:
> >I think it'd be helpful to have
> >john-1.7.5-fullmpi-8-after-jumbo2.diff.gz updated to apply after
> >1.7.6-jumbo-3.  In fact, I'd like to see it in a form suitable for
> >merging into the jumbo patch
>
> I'm not capable of bringing it to a state good enough for the jumbo
> patch. I'd love it if someone who is actually a coder could give it a
> shot. My code additions for supporting all cracking modes are just
> splitting/leapfrogging logic. Maybe I should cut it down to just that
> again, release a "fullmpi" patch for 1.7.6 and pray that someone takes
> it under his wings.

If you release a patch that applies on top of 1.7.6-jumbo-3 (and works),
then someone might further revise it to be suitable for merging into the
jumbo patch.

> On 06/17/2010 04:37 PM, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
> >  I want JTR 1.7.6 with multicore support (mpirun -np 4  ./john )
> >  What patch should I apply ?
>
> Patience, young jedi. Since yesterday I do have a working fullmpi8 for
> 1.7.6 (it's easy to hand edit the rejects) but I wanted to test it a
> little more before releasing it, sparing you from several silly version
> number bumps that is likely to come. And again maybe I should revert
> some of the cosmetics (like aggregated statistics on SIGUSR1) and go
> back to just support all cracking modes, for a starter. I really want
> the aggregated statistics but it's bundled with a sh!tload of problems
> that I'm not competent to handle well.

Are you ready to release this patch mentioned above?  Please do.

As to "reverting the cosmetics", I'll leave that up to you.  I have no
idea how broken or not they are - I am not using the JtR/MPI stuff (yet
I find it desirable to release it as long as there are users for it).

Thanks,

Alexander