Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 04:31:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.6-jumbo-2

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:24:20PM -0600, RB wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:18, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > I haven't looked into updating the MPI patch yet.
>
> I haven't either, the bump to 1.7.5 was somewhat surprising, as I was
> hoping to let it die to encourage more users to explore solutions like
> your OpenMP work.  If you'd like I'll take a look at it, but haven't
> incorporated Magnum's changes into my local repository.

I think it'd be helpful to have
john-1.7.5-fullmpi-8-after-jumbo2.diff.gz updated to apply after
1.7.6-jumbo-3.  In fact, I'd like to see it in a form suitable for
merging into the jumbo patch - that is, with proper #ifdef's to allow
for both non-MPI and MPI-enabled builds from the same source tree.

My current approach is to merge almost everything that was contributed
into the jumbo patch.  BTW, john-1.7.5-jumbo-3-md5intrinsics.diff.gz is
also a candidate for merging in (with some changes).

The OpenMP support is currently very limited - it is working for "slow"
hash types only, although it works really well for those.  I intend to
extend it (or another approach) onto more hash types, but we are not
there yet.

Thanks,

Alexander