Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:53:54 -0500
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Upcoming Password cracking contest at Defcon (shhh its a secret).

All,

This hasn't been announced yet - but I am running a password cracking contest
at the Defcon security conference this year.

I will be giving out approx. 50,000 password hashes and the winner is the team
thats cracks the most/gets the most points in 48 hours. There will be a nice
prize ($$$) from my company for the winning team.

I will post more information later about it later, but just wanted to
give you all
a heads up about it now.

Ive created the password lists to both reward and punish brute forcers ;)

I really want to see what other techniques people are using to crack passwords,
(GPU ? large clusters? smart rules? etc) and I want people to share
their techniques
with others. Im really curious what software people are going to use.

So, time to plan your trip to Vegas.

-Minga
KoreLogic