Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:50:24 -0500
From: jmk <jmk@...fus.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: netntlm.pl (was: JtR 1.7.5)

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 22:21 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> > and "netntlm.pl" tells it needs files in the
> > *.lc format: what does that mean?
> >
> > I know the smbpasswd format, but no such *.lc format ... is it related
> > to CAIN? Or does it mean "L0phtcrack"? If so: I can see the encryption
> > in "smbpasswd"; do I need L0phtcrack too?
>
> I'd like JoMo-Kun (the author of that code) to comment on this.

IIRC, I chose the format output by Ettercap and used by L0phtCrack for
challenge/response pairs. CAIN's files should contain the same data, but
fields may be flipped around and I think they use TABs to delimit.

I don't follow the section question. L0phtCrack isn't needed for any of
this. You just need to extract the challenge/response hashes from
somewhere (e.g. Ettercap, modified Samba log, packet capture of
SMB/LEAP/PPTP authentication, etc.), drop them in a file and run John.

Joe