Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:44:49 -0400
From: "Matt Weir" <cweir@...edu>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>, <helmut@...len.de>
Subject: RE: JtR and ophcrack rainbow tables

Unless there's a hidden feature that I don't know about, no. Why don't you
just use the ophcrack program with those tables instead? Due to the way
rainbow tables work I really don't see much of a reason to include them in
JtR since they wouldn't benefit from any of JtR's strengths, aka the ability
to target multiple hash types, perform dictionary and Markov based brute
force attacks, etc. I'm not saying rainbow tables aren't useful, they most
certainly are. All I'm saying it that it probably is better to use a
dedicated program like ophcrack, or rcrack to generate new rainbow tables,
and perform lookups against RTs when performing a password cracking attack.

Matt Weir