Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 00:01:13 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPIrun JTR cracking passwords up to 13 letters with foreign language.

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:40:21PM +0100, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  With my MPIrun JTR, I would like crack passwords up to 13 letters
> (with special foreign language) /digits/symbol.

With the current code, you can't have "incremental" mode both go beyond
the length of 8 and use 8-bit characters at once - you have to choose
one of these.  (I have specific plans on addressing this limitation.)

To have it support 8-bit characters (but remain limited to lengths of up
to 8) use these settings:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/03/17/1

Obviously, you will need to generate a new .chr file as well.

Alternatively, you may use an external mode, which will let you go for
lengths beyond 8 and for 8-bit characters at once (although this might
be taking too long if your charset is large):

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/03/17/2

Unfortunately, an external mode won't play nicely with the existing MPI
patch, so you'd need to use another approach to distribute the workload
across your CPU cores - e.g., by combinations of character set and
password length.

The "single crack" and wordlist modes do not have any of these
limitations, so you may just use them for lengthy and 8-bit passwords.
This was probably obvious to you, but I mention it for others who might
come across of this posting.

Alexander