Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 17:32:08 -0500
From: "Matt Weir" <cweir@...edu>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Question about Az and the use the commas

Here's some quick answers, (a little out of order):

>>2) is there a better way to append the number 0 1 2 3 4 ... 9 ?
>>    - besides [0123456789]

You can always specify ranges, such as [0-9]. The only downside is you can't
order it via letter frequency analysis then. Aka, if you look at the default
JtR Config file, it has rules such as

[237954860]

I took out the punctuation to make it easier to read, but as you can see it
doesn't try it in the normal 0-9 format. Also, the number '1' was used in a
much earlier rule by itself. I've found when running longer rules or have a
very large dictionary, ordering my rules to take advantage of letter
frequency can really speed up my cracking times.

>>1) Is there a better way to append special characters ?
>>    - besides listing all of them in a giant ugly [!@#] command?

You can specify special characters by range using their corresponding ASCII
positions. Aka

[!-/:-@\[-`{-~]

Note, I didn't check to see if the above actually works so I might not have
needed to escape the '['. The reason it's so long is because the ASCII table
is a bit weird in how in handles the special character ranges, (I'm sure
there was a reason why they spread them all over the table but darned if I
know what it is). Aka the above is actually four ranges, [!-/] [:-@] [\[-']

In all reality though, even though some of the commands look nasty when you
write them out - copy and paste when making new rules works great, and
that's why we have comments ;)

Matt