Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:31:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ":" and "l" in rule needed ?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:35:24PM +0100, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  - My wordlist is already in lowercase,
>
>   In this rule     :[lcu] A0,!!!,$!$!$!

BTW, this will likely run a bit faster:

: [lcu] A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

If your wordlist is already all-lowercase, you can further speed up one
of the three rules (which are generated by the preprocessor expression):

: [:cu] A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

> ( I just want Capitalise and UPPERCASE) ,  do I need ":" and "l" before ?

Your primary problem with understanding this might be that you do not
appear to distinguish preprocessor expressions from rules.  You called
the above a "rule", but in reality it is a preprocessor expression that
gets expanded into three separate rules.  Specifically, this
preprocessor expression that I proposed:

: [:cu] A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

gets expanded into:

: : A0,!!!, Az,!!!,
: c A0,!!!, Az,!!!,
: u A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

With no-op squeezing (which JtR performs), this is turned into:

A0,!!!, Az,!!!,
c A0,!!!, Az,!!!,
u A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

If you do not want JtR to try your original all-lowercase words (perhaps
because you have already tested them), then you do not need the first
one of these three rules, and thus you need to omit the colon or the "l"
(lowercase) command from the character list in square brackets:

: [cu] A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

This gets expanded into:

: c A0,!!!, Az,!!!,

and is optimized to:

Please note that the initial colon at the very start of the john.conf
line is needed because you would otherwise start the line with an
opening square brace, which would result in the line being
misinterpreted as indicating the start of a new john.conf section.
This detail is mentioned in doc/RULES.

Alexander