Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:52:19 -0500
From: "madfran" <madfran@...-ezine.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JTR and format NTLM

Hi,

I need the advice of an expert.
Few weeks ago my computer need a total software revamping.
After total installation of the OS (in the Help Desk of my company),
the laptop comes back to me, healthy and safe :-)
They re-installed Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

After such a treatment I always tray to find the new password of the
Administrator.
For me it is not a big issue because I have administrator's rights.
>From two different ways I always arrive at the same result.

Administrator:500:AAD3B435B51404EEAAD3B435B51404EE:
A82FF8E15A18E4E73399D231E9B32157F:::

The first hash is the LM hash and the second is the NTLM but,
- john-1.7.3 patched with jumbo, detect only the LM hash
- If I post the NTLM hash to http://plain-text.info/, he says the format is
  unknown

Has Windows changing the way to produce the hash for NTLM?