Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:30:17 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Problem with some of the MMX/SSE #defines

#ifdef MMX_COEF
/* Cygwin would not guarantee the alignment if these were declared static */
#define hmacmd5_crypt_key crypt_key
#define hmacmd5_opad opad
#define hmacmd5_ipad ipad
#define hmacmd5_cursalt cursalt
#define hmacmd5_dump dump
char crypt_key[64*MMX_COEF] __attribute__ ((aligned(16)));
unsigned char opad[PLAINTEXT_LENGTH*MMX_COEF] __attribute__ ((aligned(16)));
unsigned char ipad[PLAINTEXT_LENGTH*MMX_COEF] __attribute__ ((aligned(16)));
unsigned char cursalt[SALT_SIZE*MMX_COEF] __attribute__ ((aligned(16)));
unsigned char dump[BINARY_SIZE*MMX_COEF] __attribute__((aligned(16)));
static unsigned long total_len;
#else

This came from the file hmacMD5_fmt.c   There is similar code in all of the
SSE/MMX files (most at least).

Look at the #defines.   I know that they 'want' to do. That is to allow you
in the code to use a variable opad without static, but to 'mangle' the name,
so that global naming does not become a problem.  However, the order of the
#defines is way wrong to do that.

I am not fixing now, but this is something which should either be fixed, or
simply dropped since it obviously is not needed.

#define hmacmd5_crypt_key crypt_key

in the above code, should be

#define crypt_key hmacmd5_crypt_key

Thus, everywhere (in this file) you use crypt_key the pre processor will
shove a hmacmd5_  name mangling 'wart' in front of it and that is what the
compiler would see.  I do not know if they are all like this, but some
certainly are.

Jim.