Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:30:27 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: My patches (Performance, options, mingw, vc, generic md5, phpass, etc)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Winkler" <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [john-users] My patches (Performance, options, mingw, vc,
generic md5, phpass, etc)

> You need to apply the patches first, then make manual changes to the
> Makefile.  There is no way the patches will work if you change the
> original file.

macosx-x86-sse2:
    $(LN) x86-sse.h arch.h
    $(MAKE) $(PROJ) \
         JOHN_OBJS="$(JOHN_OBJS) x86.o x86-sse.o sha1-mmx.o md5-mmx.o" \
        ASFLAGS="$(ASFLAGS) -DUNDERSCORES -DBSD -DALIGN_LOG" \
        CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -m32" \
        LDFLAGS="$(LDFLAGS) -m32"

I also think, that the 'patch' to the macosx-x86-sse2 should include the
sha1-mmx.o and md5-mmx.o (as I have listed above). In your original 'how to'
eric, you did not have those (but had the -32 adds to the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS).
The linkage errors listed are from not having the md5-mmx.o (the ones I
glanced at).   NOTE I have no way to validate the above make file patch is
correct.  I can not build a macosx-x86-sse2 target.

But you are 100% right.  Apply ALL patches, then do a hand edit of the
makefile.  Hand editing any file, and then expecting patch to 'alway' work,
is asking for trouble.  Yes, the patch program is pretty powerful, and
'should' work, but when edits are made to a file it can cause patch to fail.
>From the long email from WS, it looks like after he edited the makefile, his
patch failed.

Jim.