Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 05:47:36 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: distro patches

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 23:27, Solar Designer<solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Why do they invoke JtR during package build, exactly?  If they do it to
> test JtR, then merely letting the mkdir() call fail may be insufficient.
> Two other issues are config file reads and possible binary fallbacks
> (e.g., SSE2 to MMX).  When invoked, JtR built for system-wide install
> will access certain pathnames outside of the build tree, which would be
> wrong for a test during package build.

It's called in the src_test stage that is turned off by default, and
is actually bypassed if there aren't existing system-wide
configuration files present from another installation.

> I've approached the problem differently, introducing the "make check"
> target and the corresponding code into JtR.  These changes are currently
> in the CVS tree:
>
> http://cvsweb.openwall.com/john

:)   I have a nightly script that tracks various OSS projects and
syncs local copies of their SCM.  Since I read that summary email
before this one, I was at least aware of the changes if not yet what
they did.

> Please have a look and maybe let the Gentoo folks know.

Since I submitted the last set of improvements, that may be me; will
defiinitely look into 'make check' for improving the package's
durability.

> I've added:
>
> #if defined(__ELF__) && defined(__linux__)
> .section .note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits
> #endif
>
> to all *.S files in the official JtR tree currently in CVS.

Thanks!  I'll re-base the patches off of those changes and submit them
in the next round.