Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 01:11:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using Cain and Abel Hashes

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 05:34:25PM -0400, Kaleb Hosie wrote:
> Is there a way to test the security of someone's Active Directory password using the hash gathered from Cain and Abel?

I am not familiar with Cain and Abel; I suspect that only a small
fraction of subscribers to this list are.  You might enable more of us
to potentially answer your question by posting a sample of that "hash
gathered from Cain and Abel".  If you post the corresponding plaintext
password (a test one indeed), that would work even better.  Please
consider doing it.  Even if no one ends up answering your question, the
information you'd post (a hash + password combo) could be of some use to
some of those searching the list archives months or years later. ;-)

> This e-mail is confidential.
[...]

Then why did you sent it to a public mailing list? ;-)  Seriously, those
confidentiality notices are rather annoying, especially on mailing list
postings.  You may want to remove yours if you have any control over it
(I understand that you might not).

Alexander