Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:32:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: get the password of windows XP

It appears that no one commented on this for two weeks now.  Why not?
Does everyone expect that I will answer all users' questions in here, or
should we start leaving "uninteresting" questions without an answer?..

Basically, the above is a "ping" to the community, to hopefully get
other "contributors" to discussions on this list moving next time
someone asks a question. ;-)

jith -

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 02:09:49PM +0530, jith wrote:
> sorry i forgot tell that i got only nt and lm hashes from saminside and not
> ntlm hash

The above is confusing and likely wrong.  Can you please post a sample
of what you got?

> How can i get both hashes using jtr.....

You're not "getting hashes" using JtR.  You use other tools for that,
such as the PWDUMP tools found here:

http://www.openwall.com/passwords/pwdump
ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/contrib/pwdump/

Most likely, you have already obtained the hashes with SAMInside.

JtR is a tool to crack the hashes and obtain the corresponding plaintext
passwords.

> Now i have SAM,security and system files from c:\WINDOWS\system32\conf\

It is more difficult to work from the files.  It is easier to use the
tools on a booted-up Windows system.  Are you able to boot the system up
and run a PWDUMP tool on it?

If you already have the hashes, then you don't need to do that, though.

Please be specific about what you have.

Alexander