Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 05:48:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: patch for new john format: phpass (also works for phpBBv3)

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:02:09AM -0500, JimF wrote:
> New patch john-1.7.3.1-all-5-phpass-3.diff has been uploaded to:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

Thanks!  I've placed this into the FTP contrib directory as well, moving
the older revisions under historical.

> I removed the wiki links to the phpass-2 files on the patches page.
> Is there any way to clean up the wiki files?  I have found how to
> upload, but there is no remove.  Of course they could be left there,
> but it might be better if there was a 'old-john' section, where older
> patches could be moved and saved, for historical purposes.  However,
> from the wiki interface, I did not see how this was easily done.

I don't think there's currently a mechanism for a wiki user to remove a
previously-uploaded file, although I could well be wrong about that.
Anyhow, as you correctly point out, it might be better to create a
separate wiki page and to link to historical patches from there - say,
call the page john/patches/historical if you like.  I don't think
there's much need to be moving the actual patch files in the wiki
hierarchy - just move the links to them from john/patches to
john/patches/historical.  I'd expect most people to silently abandon
their old uploaded patches anyway - not everyone is as careful as you
are.  So any convention we might come up with should be very simple.

Thanks again,

Alexander