Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:57:35 +0300
From: "Antonios F. Atlasis" <atlasis@...ecom.ece.ntua.gr>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: cracking MD5 hashes more than 8 characters long with a dictionary

Dear all,

I tried to use John 1.7.3-1 Pro against a shadow file with MD5 (FreeBSD)
hashes. This shadow contains some hashes that are longer than
8-characters. I create a custom wordlist, that contains the actual
passwords included in this shadow.  When I try to crack this shadow
using this custom wordlist, it cracks the passwords whose length is 8
characters or less, but not the ones whose length is more than 8
characters (although I feed the wordlist with the correct passwords)

Using exactly the same passwords and wordlist against a Blowfish shadow,
John successfully cracks all the passwords, even the ones whose length
is more than 8-characters.

I tried to change maxlength of john.conf to 16, but this didn't hep me.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Antonios