Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:58:40 -0700
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: filling dictionary

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:27, Stefan X <stefanxe@....net> wrote:
> Hi!
> For my understanding John-the-Ripper is primarily used to crack
> hash-based passwords. Is it possible to use John-the-ripper to fill a
> file or a database with passwords? Would be very glad if you could point
> me to any information about this such as example script etc.

Ignoring performance and space concerns and the fact that you'd
probably be better served with an exhaustive dictionary and a mangler
to go with it, running 'john' by itself (no options) produces this:

--stdout[=LENGTH]          just output candidate passwords [cut at LENGTH]

So 'john --stdout=8' will output all the passwords JtR has been
configured to generate at 8 characters or less.