Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:12:26 -0600
From: Steve Bergman <sbergman27@...il.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Advantages of Pro 1.7.3 for salted MD5 on Q6600 x86_64?

This is my first post to this list, so I would like to thank Solar
Designer and the others who have made john possible. Also, I hope this
question is appropriate for this list.

I am currently running john 1.7.2 x86_64 on Ubuntu 8.10. I've looked
over the Pro page, and the list, but I'm unclear on a couple of points:

1. Are there significant performance advantages of 1.7.3 Pro for FreeBSD
MD5 on a Q6600 running on a 64 bit Linux? (Level of MMX/SSEx support,
etc.)

2. For an American English location, are the dictionaries on the CD
superior to the freely downloadable all.gz file I have seen linked here?

Thanks for any enlightenment.