Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:38:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: mikes@...arget.dissimulo.com
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: OpenLDAP MD5/SMD5 format challenges

Kind greetings.

I am auditing an OpenLDAP installation, and using

     John the Ripper password cracker, version 1.7.3.1-all-4

The environment has allowed password updates from many flavors of system,
so the passwords stored are in a variety of formats.

The approach I have taken is to use slapcat to get an ldif of the entire
OpenLDAP directory, and then use a perl script (attached) to create a file
in unix passwd format. I'm relying on the Net::LDAP::LDIF perl module to
get me the correct hash out of the ldif file, but this is a simple
conversion from BASE64 encoding.

The resulting passwd file includes the passwords prefixes {SHA}, {SSHA},
{MD5}, {SMD5}, {crypt}, and {CRYPT}, which I grep out into individual
files. However, the only ones which John is able to crack are the
SHA/SSHA--it simply reports "No password hashes loaded".

Here are some example hashes from the file:

user1-name:{MD5}1sX2lBwQnaZTM/cZQjO+jg==:::User One::
user2-name:{MD5}ulQpAH+q5PQM5jliIOe0Og==:::User Two::
user3-name:{MD5}oKCTtakzqP+Ife1fqCNU7w==:::User Three::

user4-name:{SMD5}w69h8/CxcxDeTUUpLTIGQ4lw3WU=:::User Four::
user5-name:{SMD5}U/Jcj9rFigQYysYUPxuPmrnHH+A=:::User Five::
user6-name:{SMD5}ZXMtyrnt10H6xqmo4VckqV8mM6E=:::User Six::

I performed the base64 conversion of the some password strings at the
command line, and the output matched, so I don't believe it to be a
problem with the perl module.

Can anyone provide guidance or suggestions? My reading of the
documentation is that both MD5 types as well as crypt ought to be
supported out of OpenLDAP...

Gracious thanks,

Mike
Download attachment "slapkitten.pl" of type "application/octet-stream" (2391 bytes)