Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: William <phoolon_devi@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: wordlist rules for known elements of password

I'm trying to recover a forgotten password and I need some help creating a rule.  I know the password is a combination of several words, but, while I know the list of words the password is drawn from, I don't know exact combination.

For example, I have the list

cat
dog
bird
cow

and I want to create a rule that will try all possible combinations of the words, for example:
catdog
dogcat
catbird
birdcat
catcow
catdogbird
catbirddog
dogcatbirdcow
cowbirddogcat
etc

I've created a password list using the words I know the password is created from.

Some rules I've tried in the  John.conf file:
:+:
:+:+:
:+:+:+:  (etc)

$cat
^cat
$catdog
^catdog
etc

I know that some of the elements are upper-case (but I don't know which ones), so I also need to toggle between upper and lower case, so I also need to try:
DOGcat
dogCAT
DOGcatCOW
dogCATCOW

Etc...

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have.