Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:56:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: jumbo patch for 1.7.3.1

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:27:37PM -0600, RB wrote:
> Can anyone discuss the changes to src/bench.c introduced in all-4 and
> continued in all-5?  They seem cosmetic and are interfering with
> cleanly applying both bindshell.net's mpi8 patch and the jumbo
> patches.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Yes, I introduced some changes of my own to bench.c.  No, they are not
entirely cosmetic - they sort of add functionality.  Previously, one
would have to actually watch the output of "john --test" or to scroll up
to make sure that no tests "FAILED".  With around 40 "formats", and with
running tests on multiple systems, possibly simultaneously - such as
before releasing a jumbo patch update - this became an issue.  With the
changes to bench.c, if any tests fail, JtR will now print a line at the
very end of its output saying that this-many tests have failed.  Thus,
only a quick glance at the terminal is sufficient.

It is unfortunate that the changes are interfering with another popular
patch, but I don't think I am going to do anything about that.  Perhaps
there will need to be a revision of bindshell.net's patch that will
apply cleanly on top of the jumbo patch.

Alexander