Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 06:46:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: HMAC-MD5 SSE2 fails under Cygwin

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 02:23:25PM +0200, Simon Marechal wrote:
> Just a quick question : who uses HMAC-MD5? I remember adding it because
> i started writing a PSK cracker, and I wanted to test the HMAC
> functions. But devine just wrote his own in aircrack, and I never
> bothered with this again. (BTW, the implementation in aircrack-ng is not
> so good, especially on AMD64)
>
> Is there a single application that uses just a call to HMAC-MD5?

Good question.  Let's see if anyone in here has anything to say on it.

> I never seen any question about its usage here.

Actually, there was one, sort of:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/01/28/6

> It might be a good idea to just dump it ...

Well, I won't hurry to do that.  The jumbo patch, at this time, is meant
to be a collection of almost all contributed patches that are of any use
at all.

As to the specific issue with non-guaranteed 16-byte alignment for
"statics" under Cygwin, it affected more than just the HMAC-MD5 "format"
anyway.  It's just that this one was the first to fail (and crash the
program).  When fixed, the test would similarly crash a few seconds
later, and so on.  I ended up patching 8 *_fmt.c files in the patch that
I gave to SmarTeam Support and Random Intentions, both of whom confirmed
that the patch did make things work for them.  So I am going to include
that patch in the next revision of the jumbo patch - and hopefully be
done with this issue for now.

Thanks,

Alexander