Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:32:55 +1200
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton@...kland.ac.nz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: search path for config file

I need some clarification about this. The CONFIG file says:

<quote>
This file is searched for in private John's "home directory" and, if
not found in the private directory and John is installed system-wide,
also in John's system-wide shared data files directory.
</quote>

but I find this confusing.

I have found that john will find config files in the current
directory.  I have tried setting the environment variable JOHN but
this does not seem to have any effect.  I have also looked in the
INSTALL instructions but failed to find any reference to "home".

Enlightenment welcome.

On a side issue I am about to get my grubby mitts on an "IronKey
Enterprise" encrypted flash drive and intend to install john on the
secured portion of the drive and keep the password files and pot etc.
on the normal file section.   That way I should have all the sensitive
stuff in one very secure place.

https://www.ironkey.com/

If anyone is interested in how this goes drop me a note

Russell
Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2503 bytes)