Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:32:45 +0400
From: "Alex V. Breger" <osgxdvyg@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CUDA the Ripper

Hello

Are there any attempts to use GPU computing for John the Ripper?
There are some examples, which get 70 millions per second of raw MD5
calculations on Geforce 8800 GS (cuda md5 project) and 34 millions per
second of raw SHA1 (without downloading and uploading data to graphic
card)
I'm doing some experiments, but only get 25 million/sec for raw MD5
and 7 million/sec for raw SHA1.

There was some problems with bench.c and incremental cracker.
Benchmark can't get a full speed, which measured by real hash
cracking after a some time. How does john calculate a speed of hash
generation? I've noticed some inertness - speed is slowly growing with
time.

How fast is incremental cracker? What a maximum rate of password
generation can it get?

For CUDA I use a big sets of password (from tens of hundreds to
several millions) to transfer
to GPU for processing.
I think, that bottleneck for now is incremental cracker or my
_set_key() function. Transferring data to GPU also can be a bottleneck.

Thanks you for JtR

--
WBR, Alex V Breger