Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:05:45 +0200
From: "Polygraf Belkin" <polygraf_polygrafowitch.belkin@....net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: incremental crack of partially known passwords

Dear john-users,

I am in a bit of a fix.
I have partially forgotten the password to a server of mine.
I know, that the password has the form of xxxyyyxxx, where I know the x-es for sure, but have forgotten the ys, I know, though, that the ys are all numbers.

I have fiddled out how to configure john pre-compile to accept '9' as maxcount, but from there on, I am lost.

How would I formulate a request to john to incrementally crack the password of the specific form, which should not be too difficult, as the complexity is very reduced?

Thank you very much for your help