Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:16:49 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John + Boinc

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:52:35PM +0200, Markus Friedel wrote:
> Thank you, i tested some implementations, but the idea is to get it done
> with boinc :-)

That's fine.  You're free to work on this. :-)

> I have two kinds of hash types. MD5 and DES both are salted and all have
> different salts.

Well, since there are multiple salts, you may split your input password
files across nodes "by salt".  That is, make sure that all hashes with a
given salt go onto the same node.

A more generic approach is to split the candidate password space,
though, which can be done in one of many different ways.

> Simon was so kind to send me his version of john with the markov mode.
> and perhaps this is the way to get it work on the diverent cpus.

I wouldn't say it is "the way" - it is just one of many ways, and it is
specific to this mode.  The choice is really up to you, especially given
that you're doing this for fun (in my understanding), and you don't have
to do it optimally.

Alexander