Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:10:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to parse passwords if you know format.

Michael,

You might be confused as to what the wordlist mode rules do.  In this
mode, JtR reads an input wordlist - which is just a text file with one
"word" per line - and mangles those input "words" in certain ways.
It does not generate any new candidate passwords on its own that would
not be based on the input "words".

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:27:27PM -0400, mwhite@...umbus.rr.com wrote:
> I just need to know how to use the wordlist to do an iteritive of the
> combinations of passwords.  For instance if I know the first letter is a
> capital alpha character, the 2nd is a digit and the third is a lower case.

This is not clear.  Do you want to use a wordlist, yet apply a filter to
it, rejecting most words found on your list because they would not meet
the criteria?  If so, yes, you could use the rules for that - see below.

However, if you want JtR itself to generate candidate passwords
according to the pattern you've specified, then you don't need a
wordlist, don't need the wordlist mode, and can't use the word mangling
rules.  (Well, actually there is a way to misuse the wordlist mode,
word mangling rules, and the rule preprocessor to achieve what you
describe - but it will be just that, misuse - and it won't work well for
large numbers of candidate passwords to be generated in this way.)

Instead, maybe the KnownForce external mode from this posting:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/03/31/1

will do what you need, after you adjust the code in init() accordingly.

> How would I change the configuration so that I use the nice word syntax
> rules to do this.
>
> I keep thinking it is something like
> ?u?d?l
> or
> 0?u
> 1?d
> 2?l

You'd use:

[List.Rules:Wordlist]
(?u=1?d=2?l

This uses the following two commands:

(?C	reject the word unless its first character is in class C
=N?C	reject the word unless character in position N is in class C

> Also is there a way to bound the number of characters other than only
> setting the rules for those characters using word list or is this only in
> the iterative function?

This question is too confusing/confused for me to comment on it - but I
hope that I have addressed it above anyway. ;-)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15