Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:59:59 -0500
From: jmk <jmk@...fus.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LMv2 LAN Manager Authentication

Hi,

I recently made an attempt to add support to John for cracking
challenge/response sets generated during LMv2 LAN Manager
authentication. LMv2 challenge/response authentication typically takes
place when the GPO "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
is configured to a setting that enforces the use of NTLMv2, such as
"Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM & NTLM." IIRC, Microsoft Vista now
sends NTLMv2/LMv2 by default.

I've uploaded a diff against John 1.7.2 with the Jumbo patch applied:
http://www.foofus.net/jmk/tools/jtr/john-1.7.2-all-9-netlmv2-jmk-1.diff

Hopefully this is useful to others. If anyone sees some areas in which
it could be improved, please let me know.

Joe

--
jmk <jmk@...fus.net>
Foofus Networks