Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:41:06 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vowels rotating

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:26:08PM +0100, websiteaccess wrote:
>   Today I would like make a rule able to change all vowels (aeiouy) in
> a word by an other one (aeiouy).
>
>  For example :
>
>  "canape" become :
>
>  canapa
>  canapi
>  canapo
>  .... until
> cynepo
> cynypy

JtR's wordlist rules are not well suited for this task, not even with
the preprocessor.  You're better off using a Perl script instead - or
you may re-consider the task.  Why try all of those combinations?
I think that most passwords that may be found in this way would also be
found by merely replacing any one vowel with another one.

Anyway, here's an example of how wordlist rules can be (ab)used to
implement what you want, for lengths up to 3 and only considering the
five characters [aeiou] as vowels:

=0?vo0[aeiou]Q
=1?vo1[aeiou]Q
=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
=0?vo0[aeiou]QM=1?vo1[aeiou]Q
=0?vo0[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
=1?vo1[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q
=0?vo0[aeiou]QM=1?vo1[aeiou]QM=2?vo2[aeiou]Q

For greater lengths and for 6 "vowels", this list of rules quickly
becomes too long and too slow (each rule would be rejecting most input
words as not "belonging" to that rule).  So, while in theory wordlist
rules can do this, they're not really up to the task in practice.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar