Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:39:31 +0100
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice MD5

Solar Designer a écrit :
> On page 23, it has a very brief mention that bitslice MD5 "is slow" on
> Cell SPUs: "128 adds require 94 instructions."  To me, 94 instructions
> is not a lot, but perhaps a straightforward 4-way SIMD implementation is
> more efficient.

As MD4 and its successors have been designed with 32bit efficiency in
mind it's no wonder that they work well that way. The CELL processor is
a beast and a naive (using a lot of registers ...) MD4 implementation
leads to 180M hashes/s. Using the "guess part of the password, reverse a
part of the process" trick it's possible to go way past the 200M
hashes/s symbolic limit.