Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:16:45 +0200
From: Grégory Duchesnes <g.duchesnes@...e.fr>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: help on tailor made JTR config...

Hi all,

I've lost the root password of one of my computers (i won't explain
how since it is definitely stupid) and since it is a hosted server i
don't have any physical access on it to boot in single mode or on a
liveCD.

Fortunately, i've got a recent backup of my /etc/passwd and /etc/
shadow files, therefore i turned myself towards JTR which is a
software i've never used. I'm aware that password cracking can be a
long task, but since i know exactly how my passwords are formed, i
think i can save a lot of time building a custom config.

My problem is that i don't understand how to create a custom charset.
Here are the characteristics of my password if anyone would like to
help me create this config :

- exactly 8 characters (i found how to do that)
- contains uppercase letters AND lowercase letters AND numbers (this
could save time since JTR tests a lot of password made of number or
lowercase letters only)
- doesn't contain the following caracters : 1,0,i,o,l,I (one, zero,
lowercase i, lowercase o, lowercase l and uppercase i)

Thanks for your help ;-)
Greg