Date:  Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:14:06 +0200
From:  "Morag Agmon" <agmonm@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Markov filter password generation

Hello All, Simon

1. Ok, I used the cygwin version of the Markov filter - works flawless so
far.
2. I'm using it on a DES passwd file I have, consisting of 557 passes (467
salts).
3. I first tried level=100:0:0:8 to see if it's working, got nothing
cracked.
4. Next, I tried level=150:0:0:8 and got 5 cracked.
5. Currently, I am running level=216 for the last 33 hours. I split the work
using the index parameter (and the knowledge of how many combinations there
is, from the stats operation) to two parts , for my two cores (AMD X2). So
far, 43 more passes cracked.
6. I estimate the process to end within 40 hours, then I'll have more
results to post.

Now, questions:

1. Is there a recovery file of some kind ? I couldn't find any....
2. Is the filter generating combinations with CAP letters ?
3. I would surely appreciate somekind of progress indication , since it is a
finite process - like the percentage shown in wordlist mode.
4. When I finish running my current process of level=216 - I would certainly
want to try higher levels to get more passes cracked , Is there a way to run
higher levels without repeating previous checked combinations (in lower
levels) ?
5. Could you explain mkvcalcproba.exe , usage, purpose & output ?
6. Thinking about it, a FAQ would have solved my n00b question :)

Thanks for your patience!

Morag Agmon.