Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:44:15 -0400
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: looking for JTR latest version with all patches

On Sep 3, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Tremaine Lea wrote:

> On 3-Sep-07, at 2:44 PM, websiteaccess wrote:
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/ssl/lib) does not
>> exist
>
> Looks like you don't have the ssl libs installed, or they aren't in
> your path.

Actually, the warning means nothing and openssl is fully supported
under MacOSX.  The directory includes are their for other flavors of
UNIX.  Even if the path doesn't exist, the code will still compile as
long as the openssl libraries are found.

The real error is

/usr/bin/ld: alignment (0x8000) of section (__DATA,__data) greater than
the segment alignment (0x1000)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have seen this before and it had to do with DO_ALIGN in the x86
assembly code.  I guess the MacOSX gcc compiler for Intel is not as
forgiving as other compilers.  Not sure if this is the same error,
but it is someplace to start.  Try compiling a standard x86 version
or mmx-only version and see what happens.

Erik