Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:17:32 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - quoting etiquette, value of postings

Hi,

websiteaccess, Larry, Tom (and others) - I've been asking this many
times, but it seems that I have to repeat:  Please avoid overquoting.
Please quote just relevant context needed to understand what you're
responding to - most of the time, that will be just a few lines.
Frank has provided a good reference on quoting etiquette; here's a
direct link to the English version of that text:

websiteaccess - I understand that you've found another password cracker
program that you like, and I am happy for you.  However, I'd appreciate
it if you don't "plug" it on every occasion, without much thought, and
without addressing questions raised in whatever messages you "respond"
to.  I understand that this is a user community mailing list and I can't
really expect people to spend more time on responses than they want to,
but a better response would have been to address Tom's original question,
then point out that tool X (OK, let it be InsidePro in this context)
might be better (if you think so) and briefly explain just how it is
different (including the order in which candidate passwords are tried,
OS support, cost, source code availability).  Such a posting would have
been of much more "value" than the one that you did make.  The typos and
overquoting suggest that you didn't even bother to re-read your posting
before sending it - yet you're having hundreds of other people read it
(we're at 600+ subscribers now, and there are people reading archives
on the web).

Please have a little bit more respect to people reading what you post.

While we're at it, here's a link to the latest list charter draft that
I've posted:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/02/17/3

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15