Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:33:36 +0200
From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Strange bug when testing --format=ssha

Solar Designer wrote:
>Well, the thing that differed was the ordering of keys tried by the last
>iteration of the previous benchmark (for multiple salts).

Hm, it would have been hard to see that just from the time the test
took to fail, compared to the time of a successful test.

>NSLDAPS_fmt.c: set_key() assumes that keys are always set up starting
>from index 0.  Not only may this assumption break with future versions
>of JtR,

But then, some algorithms might need a new function to init some
buffers for all the (up to) MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT passwords...

>but also the code did not take into consideration that sometimes
>crypt_all() and cmp_all() may be called with fewer than the maximum
>number of keys to test.

Yes, I also noted that crypt_all was using MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT instead
of count in the first for(...) loop.

>Please try the attached patch.  It should fix the immediate issue that
>caused those test failures (it does for me).

Yes, the patch works for me as well, thanks.
(I'll answer your other reply as well, I'm just too busy
right now.)

Frank