Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:12:46 +0000 (UTC)
From:  -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Potfile size limitation?

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:
> > > Anyway, it is more likely that the problem is related to a specific
> > > john.pot entry rather than to the file size.

> You can use the "usual" approach of splitting your john.pot file in
> halves and seeing which half still causes the crash, then split that one
> and so on.  You should be done in around 25 iterations.  If you ever
> determine that neither half causes the crash or both do, then it's not
> just one "problematic entry".  Either way, I'd be interested in your
> results.

I split the potfile in half, and neither part gave any stackdump errors
so it must be because of the combined size as I suspected.
Using "John the Ripper password cracker, version 1.7.1"

> I suggested that you start a debugging build of John the Ripper under
> the GNU debugger - gdb - which is a part of Cygwin (or you can do it on
> non-Windows).  Maybe this is too complicated for you.

I will reinstall cygwin (recently did a clean install of windows) and see
if I can figure out how to compile this debug version....
Will report back