Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:03:42 +0100
From: Antares <antares@....ch>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LM an NTLM combination

It all worked great so far! Thanks again.
For me it remains a small uncertainty in understanding the work of john
(in the word list mode, with the altered rule set, as described in the
reference which you mentioned.):
Let's assume an empty john directory, which NTLM patch applied, confile
adjustet to NT world list rules, and a word list with the capitalized
case insensitive passwords from a LM hash run.
I would (naively) expect that John would run one word by another (from
word list)  applying  the  (new) rule set, hence finding the right case
for each password.
That leads me to the assumption that John would find "all" possible
combinations during the first run.

My first run found i.e. 1459 guesses (in 1 min, 10s)
Invoking the very same command again (using by bash history) found
another 65 guesses (in 1 min, 11s)

How is that possible? Times are almost the same, by coincident?

kind regards
antares

btw. i don't want to bother you ;) if you have no time for this, let me
know, i'll post it then to the list...